Saturday 12 January 2013

Awesome Humans The 6th

Firstly HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone. So I just realised it's been 2 months since I posted a new blog post. I don't know how it got away from me for so long :/ So since it is a new year I am going to be a better blogger and post more regularly, but I am not going to set myself any sort of weekly schedule or anything. I'll just say that I will post more regularly and when inspiration strikes. I recently got myself a much better laptop (it's so much faster :-D ) so that should help with the research and the actual working of my blog.

But anyway, back to the story at hand. I thought I would start the new year with what is in my opinion one of the most inspirational people I have ever come across -----> Nick Vujicic.
Nick  graduated from Griffith University at the age of 21 with a double major in accountancy and financial planning. But he went on to become a motivational speaker that travels the world giving speeches to all sorts of people, from school kids to corporations. He focuses mainly on teen issues.

Now I know that some of you out there might be wondering what it is that makes this man such an awesome human since there are so many motivational speakers already out there and plenty of them focus on teen issues. Well Nick suffers from a disease called tetra-amelia syndrome. This is a rare disorder that is characterised by the absence of all four limbs. Nick is missing all his limbs except for a small foot and two toes on his left side. By law he was originally not allowed to go to mainstream school because of his disability and was one of the first disabled children to be integrated into mainstream school once the law was changed. As a child and well into his teens he struggled both mentally, emotionally as well as physically.

He suffered from depression from an early age because of the bullying but eventually after praying for arms and legs realised that his accomplishments could inspire others and became grateful for his life. One of the key turning points that helped him come to this realisation was when his mother showed him a newspaper article about a man dealing with a severe disability. This made him realise that he wasn't unique in his struggles and began to embrace them. He began to master the daily tasks of life. He learned to write using his toes with a special grip that went on his big toe. He learned to shave, throw a tennis ball, get a glass of water, play the drum pedal, brush his teeth, comb his hair and even use a computer and type using the heel toe method.

He eventually came to terms with his disability and at the age of 17 he set up a non profit organisation, Life Without Limbs. He was elected captain of his school in year seven and worked with the student council on fundraising events for local charities and disability campaigns. He speaks worldwide on life with a disability, hope and finding meaning in your life. He also speaks about his belief in God and the he believes God can use any wiling heart to do his work and that God is big enough to overcome all disabilities. He wrote that he keeps a pair of shoes in his closet due to his belief in miracles. He was nominated for Young Australian of the year in 2008.

This is the video I found that made me want to write about Nick. It is really amazing. *Warning, this may make some people tear up a bit. I certainly did.

I honestly think I am going to have a hard time finding someone who is a more awesome human than this man. I don't even think awesome or even amazing are good enough words to describe this man. I know that there are some amazing people out there but whenever I think about the fact that Nick went his whole life without any of his limbs it makes me think about what I am doing with my life and how can I be a better person and accomplish more. That and the fact that he never lets his disability affect him in his life is awesome. I personally know I wouldn't have the courage to get up in front of a crowded room and do what he does. He is truly the most inspirational person I have ever come across.

Let me know if there is any inspirational people you would like me to research and write about. Also let me know what you thought about this story and the way I wrote it.

Here's to the start of an awesome and inspirational year :)
Stardansheill o7

1 comment:

  1. Here's to a fabulous 2013 :)

    This man is very inspirational, thanks for posing about him :)

    ReplyDelete