Thursday 15 September 2011

College day 3

Merciful god the weather here in Galway is all over the place. We get about a week straight of really stormy weather which they clapped as a hurricane and then today it is sunny and warm enough to go around without a jumper. But you still bring it just to be on the safe side, you never know when it might rain again. Dragged myself out of bed this morning and headed into GMIT hoping that they would have work for me after telling me they would. A lot of times though what GMIT says to you and what actually happens are two very different things. The first thing I saw when I walked in the front doors was a first year wandering around with his bicycle helmet still on, the poor lad. Hope he realised he was wearing it before any of his classmates spotted him, they would be mercyless about it and if would never live it down throughout his entire college life.

 And just as I suspected they told me they needed me but when I got in they told me they had enough people. That is one of the only things about GMIT that annoys me. They never seem know what they are doing when they organise something and end up letting down the people who are there to help them. I had things to do in town so I took a wander into Galway and pottered around for awhile and did my bits and pieces.
Apparently this represents wandering around town.



I had to use that picture because it is just the most random one that was there and I do not understand how it represents wandering around town. Anyone possibly have an explanation?

After quite a bit of pottering around and nothing interesting happening in town I decided that I didn't want to go home cause I would jut be bored and doing absolutely nothing so I went back to GMIT to hang out with Kat and help her on the Best Buddies desk. I then got a couple of hours from the college and showed a few people where to go and helped others with any queries they had. Had an awesome day hanging out with Kat, chatting to her and helping students.

A bit of innuendo maybe?
Freddo wandered up to the desk at one stage and ended up hanging out with us for a few hours, except he drifted away from the conversations every so often to go scoping :P Darserve was around for awhile as well, but really didn't want to be there (hangover head) so as soon as he could leave he was gone. Cospecs was helping on the desk with me and Kat, but spent a lot of time wandering around helping students and seeing what free stuff he could get his hands on.

There was alot of stuff happening today for first years so they were hustling and bustling all around the college today and the poor devils were getting all flustered and confused. So we took pity on them and did our jobs of showing them around. We brought them to were they had to register and to the all important Library tours and students unions talks. The students unions talks were especially important because they tell you all about what the student union does and how it can help you and the campaigns it runs. Plus they give you a survival pack with food in it at the end. Everyone on the students union are lovely and Jocser(SU President) and Dots(SU Vice President) are two of the most helpful lads in the world and will always make time for any student no matter what else they have going on.


I think at this stage the little first years are starting to get their feet and realise how awesome their college life in GMIT is going to be. There may be a lot of academic work to be done, but once night comes along GMIT and it's associated nightclub and pubs have something for everyone to do. This week the Library are doing beer pong tournaments and free finger food and free entry, sure you can't beat it. Next week and the week after are going to be crazy busy with all students back next week and freshers week the following week. Serious line up of music happening during freshers week and how could we forget that Arthurs day is on the 20th of September. More to come on all that as it happens.

Tonight was the first night that we were back to civil defence for this year after finishing up for the year after Oxegen. Let's just say it was a great experience :) We did an exercise in practicing our first aid skills and it was a car crash scenario. Me, Ronny, Freckles, Stean, Chicken, Stewie, Mac, Flemmy, Shiners, Keif, and Cliners were the injured parties and the rest of the group that were down were our first aiders. Even though it was absolutely freezing cold lying on the ground outside it was great craic because we got to see how much we remembered from last year and I was pleasantly surprised by how much we remembered. All the first aiders were excellent and took great care of all of us. As is the usual at the end of Civil Defence training we sat down in a group, had tea, and had the banter as a group. It was good to be sitting around chatting with all the Oranmore Civil Defence members and cannot wait to see what the new people who join are like. We always get mixed social groups when our new members join and see how many we are left with after a few months.

We get students from the Secondary school in Oranmore who are doing their bronze gaisce award and are using Civil Defence for their Community section and we lose a lot of those members once they complete the number of weeks necessary for the Community section. After that group of members leaves we are left with the members who will all hopefully become dedicated members and stay in the Organization for a long time. It's hard to believe when I think back now that in June of this year I will be 6 years in the Organization. Don't think I will ever leave either. I love helping people and Civil Defence allows me to do just that and also gives me the opportunity to get top class first aid training and meet a lot of new and interesting people while making connections for the future.

Wednesdays are the busiest days in my week with Civil defence so I will more than likely always be mentioning civil defence in the blog so hope you all like reading about me rambling on. Anywho I am going to go to bed now and see what happens when I wake up tomorrow. Hope anyone that reads this has enjoyed it and will return to read my future posts :)
I would also appreciate any criticisms that people have for me because it will help me become better at this :)

Stardansheill

0 comments:

Post a Comment