Tuesday 13 September 2011

We all begin sometime

HELLO, Hello, hello. Is there anybody out there?

So, my name is Brendan, I like to write and I am going to share it with people on the interwebs. I am going to write about things I do, my pet peeves, random things and some of the movies I see.

Today was the start of induction week for first years in my college. I am currently a second year so I was chosen by the college to be a student helper for the few days induction is on. Basically a student helper guides first years to where they have to go at certain times and to bring them to certain classrooms and on tours of the college in separate groups. I was in the sports hall with a few of the student helpers that I knew and we basically had to guide the first years in for their induction speeches from the College President, the student unions President and the Vice President, and their respective course department heads. We also had to make sure that all first years received freshers packs containing a cool 2Gb USB Wristband



When we finally got lunch after dealing with I'd say well over a thousand first years we got to see an awesome band performing in the college common room. They seemed to know everything. They played music spanning from Mr Brightside to Highway to Hell. They sounded amazing and were a real crowd pleaser. I think they were made up of college students, but to be honest I have no idea because I didn't hear much about themselves because I only got to hear a small amount of their music. They got the crowd going wild and even got some of them to come up and sing certain songs that they requested.

I got to do one job today that I really enjoyed. I got to teach first years some basic first aid with my first aid instructor. I like to teach people and I really love to helping people especially if I can help save a life, maybe. Overall today was a fantastic day with my college friends and helping first years emalgimate with college life.


I remember my first day of college and how terrified I was. I was nervous about everything, had I chosen the right course, I knew no one and I didn't know where to go. I saw the student helpers and thought to myself that I can't ask them anything, because they will think I am an idiot. That was because I was an extremely nervous person before college. But I decided on my first day that if I wanted to get on well in college I was going to have to get to know people and be more outgoing, so I just decided to talk to people in my course and ask people where to go if I got lost. And I think I am much better off now because of that. I suggest that anyone who is nervous about stuff, just takes a deep breath and goes for it. Never let anything hold you back.

So basically that was my day today besides the usual relaxing at home listening to music, reading or watching the box. And it was also my first ever blog.
I hope that anyone who reads this enjoys it or even was interested a small bit :) I would also really appreciate if people could please comment on my posts because I want to know what people think and what I can do to make it better and more enjoyable. All criticism is invited and welcomed. :) Look forward to writing again and hearing from people who read this :D

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9/14/2011

    Hahahahahaha found it hilarious that you went into how you felt on your first day at college :P think we heard that speech bout 4 times. Its good :) I like it, Maybe give names like you just say ' college' make it ,more personal and relatable like - gmit or give people names (they don't have to be there own you can make up mystery names :) kat :)

    ReplyDelete