Sunday 8 January 2012

New things (week 1)

So as part of my new years resolutions I am going to be doing something new every week that I probably wouldn't have done before. So for Week 1 I decided to go to a waxathon in aid of the Irish Wheelchair foundation that a friend invited me to. I decided with Ciaran that if he got his chest done I would get my back done. I'm a total genius, I know. It was on in Cortoon in Tuam so one of the main things that was going to prevent me from taking part in the event was somewhere to stay on the night. I live way too far away from Tuam to get a taxi back home lol. Luckily my awesome friend Kitty came to the rescue and her parents graciously let Ciaran and I stay in their house on the night of the event.

So we arrived down at the Cortoon Inn fed, watered and ready for the event. The waxing started at around 10 o'clock and the guys were quite hesitant to volunteer. As the event was for charity, there was a swear jar for the people being waxed. If you swore, you had to pay a euro per swear. One brave soul "volunteered" in the end and got his leg done. He didn't shout much or swear so he made it look easy, but he did flinch quite a lot towards the top of the shin. If anyone out there has been waxed before then you know how painful it can be. He weathered it well now in fairness to him. So anyway, the next lad up decided to get his chest done, for the craic sure. His reactions were brilliant. You could see the pain on his face and how hard he was trying to not swear cause he could hear the swear jar being rattled at him. He spent a couple of euro by the end of his chest. They waxed a couple more lads legs and then took a break to heat the wax up again.

When they came back from the break, the first guy was full of swears lol. He "donated" somewhere between 15 and 20 euro to the swear jar :) After people saw the pain he felt on his one leg no one wanted to be next to volunteer their hair. Ciaran decided he was going next which meant I was after him :/ This is how he looked when she started waxing his chest >>
Looks like he's having fun doesn't he? The reactions and sounds he was making didn't exactly make me look forward to being next. The worst parts on the chest were the middle and around the nipples lol. Go ahead and visit Ciaran's blogs by clicking on the links. Both of these blogs http://timesmccool.blogspot.com/ and http://workmccool.blogspot.com/ are about his life and work. He posts lots of different and interesting things from game tips and rants to blogs about running and taking part in the Iron man event.

Before
So then it came to me... I lay face down on the table and awaited my impending pain with a death grip on the edge of the table. She rubbed the disinfectant alcohol on my back and I knew that the next thing I would feel would be the hot wax and the the strip. On went the first layer of wax and strip, I braced myself not knowing what to expect, except pain at some level. The first one wasn't so bad as it was on the lower back. They got progressively worse the higher up the back she went. When she got to the worst part which was right at my neck line it was absolute torture. One of the worst pains I ever felt. I had 5 euro in my pocket which meant I could afford 5 swears lol. So when she was half way done on my back I was up to 3 already. By the end of the whole thing I had all 5 done and had just felt the worst pain of my life. One of the last ones was quite painful. It was as if she hadn't put any wax on at all and just used masking tape or something.

After
All in all the night was good craic and a success. I got to help out a friend, raise money for charity and complete week 1 of my new things to do this year. I'm taking suggestions for what new things I should try this year if anyone wants to give me a few ideas. It would be greatly appreciated. Just leave you ideas in the comments section below.

Stardansheill o7


0 comments:

Post a Comment