Friday 14 September 2012

Ironman 70.3 Galway 2012. Awesome Humans 3

So here we are with part 3 of why humanity is awesome. I am actually really enjoying this segment of the blog. I know I haven't written much for it, but I am loving finding ideas to write about and all the amazing people that are out there. I think I will just spend a week solid writing about them and see what happens. This one is a couple of weeks old and I am a bit late but sure it still counts. The internet in my house has the most temper mental connection so I haven't really been on it lately. I had it on my phone but we all know it isn't the same thing at all. It's so difficult to write a post on the phone and I needed to write something, so I decided to put up with it so I could write and because I was missing the internet.

A couple of weeks ago I was volunteering with Civil Defence at the Iron man 70.3 which was being held in Galway. For those like me who would have/had no idea what the Iron man 70.3 is you can go here and read all about it. That link will bring you to the ironman website and give you all the information you need to know about a full Ironman event and the 70.3 event. But for those other people that are like me and tell themselves that they are going to click that link after reading and totally forget, an Ironman 70.3 is a triathlon event consisting of a 1.9km swim, a 90km cycle and a 21.1km run. That's a 1.18 mile swim, a 55.9 mile cycle and a 13.11 mile run. 2500 people took part in this years event. I don't know about the you guys but I would never be able to do this in my wildest dreams. In my opinion the people who do these events are superhuman and they are another reason why humanity is awesome.

The start of the cycle
On their way back
They are on strict diets and regimes and they dedicate so much of their lives to training for the event and taking part in it. I was volunteering during the cycle portion of the event and so I got to see the same competitors at the beginning of the cycle and towards the end. Each and every competitor that passed me looked like they were having the best time of their life and to me that just drives home exactly how awesome these people are. I mean to still have a smile on your face and be able to laugh after cycling nearly 90km after a 1.9km swim and still have 21.1km to run is awesome to me. I literally cannot describe how much respect I have for the people who take part in these events. If anyone reading this has ever done an ironman or the 70.3 please comment people. Also I tip my hat to you. I took a lot of pictures on the day, only of the cycle portion though, I didn't get near the swim or the finish line unfortunately. Oh well, there is always next year. Anywhay, I uploaded all my pictures to imugr and you can click right HERE to view them. I would upload them on here, but I think there is about 50. Feel free to glance at them or not sure.

This is my favourite picture from the whole day. It's not very obvious in the picture, but the guy on the second bike was going to pose for the picture but I hadn't realised and took it as he was raising his arms in the air. The two of us got a bit of a chuckle out of it anyway.

So that is the end of part 3. What do you guys think. Am I choosing good reasons for humanities awesomeness? Is there any stories out there that you guys would recommend I look into and write about. Let me know in the comments below. If you are new to the blog and like what you see please follow me on this and on my Twitter and like my Facebook page for up to date details on all my posts.

Stardansheill o7

3 comments:

  1. Launna9/14/2012

    Those athletes are incredibly talented:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brendan Shields9/14/2012

    They really are. It was so amazing watching them. I felt so lazy though lol. But it has motivated me to get out there and maybe one day i will do this event.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Launna9/15/2012

    That would be awesome Brendan, as soon as my leg is healed I am going to take up running, I want run a 5 K within a year and maybe a 10 K. I am so tired of sitting around, wasting my life, we are meant to experience it all.

    ReplyDelete