Thursday 19 April 2012

Firefly Review. Week 15 Day 2.

Ok so in my last post I said that for this week I was going to a new story everyday for the week and upload them. I know that technically a review of a show isn't a story, but in all honesty I couldn't come up with a new story for yesterday. I had a few ideas, but couldn't flesh them out and kind of gave up. It was also my brothers 18th birthday so when I got home from college all the family were over for dinner so I had to mingle lol. So instead I wrote a review of the tv series firefly. I am sci-fi nerd and will watch anything no matter how bad people say it is.


For those of you who have not watched firefly it is a show based in 2517 when humans have reached and inhabited a new star system. It is basically a futuristic western movie where you have the outlaws on the run from the law, taking jobs where ever they can get them. I really liked that about the show, because to me it showed that no matter how advanced we get there will always be the cowboy element of human life.
There will always be the outlaws that do the right thing even if it is against the law, but they feel that the law is wrong and it does more good than harm. The show was created by the brilliant director that is Josh Whedon who also wrote shows like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel and Dollhouse. He is also the director on the Avengers movie coming out this year. I cannot wait to see that movie. Whedon pitched the show as "nine people looking into the blackness of space and seeing nine different things". If I was deciding whether to get on board with the series and heard this, I would at least get interested and not judge too quickly. There is something about it that grabs my attention. Maybe it's the fact that it sounds like even though we all want to believe things are one way that isn't always the case. Someone else more than likely sees it a different way.

In the show it is a future where the only two surviving superpowers, the United States and China, fused to form the central federal government, called the Alliance, resulting in the fusion of the two cultures as well. According to Whedon's vision, "nothing will change in the future: technology will advance, but we will still have the same political, moral, and ethical problems as today." No matter how hard we fight for peace in the end we are still fighting. The human race is always going to be like that unfortunately. It has something to do with our animal instincts. The show won an Emmey in 2003 for Outstanding Special Visual Effects for a Series. To be honest, I didn't think the effects were anything special. The ship looked brilliant when you saw it from the outside, but a lot of stuff looked really obviously fake. The sound effects were brilliant at times but there was the matter of whenever you saw the ship fly through space, you heard nothing. I know that space is a vacuum and technically you wouldn't hear anything anyway, but it's still a sci/fi show. Us nerds love the sound of spaceship engines. Just something about our brains I guess.



I don't want to go to deep into the story line, because this is a review so I want to say a lot without saying anything at all. At the start I didn't feel there was much of a story line, but I realised towards the end that there was one major story line in play the whole time and there was individual episode stories. I don't know why it took me so long to see that, I suppose it could be because the most important part of the main storyline was introduced in the first episode, so I kind of expected it to go from there. Each of the nine cast members throughout the series gets there own major episode, if not more. By the end of the series I really enjoyed it and want them to make a second series, but I know that is not going to happen. It's one of those shows that unfortunately has been cancelled for too long. The one thing I will admit that kept me interested in the series until it was good was the cast. It was a fantastic cast full of actors that would have been known, but not too well and mostly for sci-fi series or movies. They were also well enough known that when the show was cancelled they didn't fall off the face of the earth.

So that is my review. I know it short and lacking detail, but it has been quite awhile since I finished the series so a few of the details have begun to elude me and I don't want to say something and be completely wrong about it.

Let me know what you thought :) Oh and please feel free to be as negative as you want, it only serves to help me become a better writer.

Until tomorrow!

Stardansheill o7

1 comment:

  1. stevejulian4/23/2012

    Didn't see the series but did like the movie.

    ReplyDelete